Wade Barrett Names New Dynamo Captain

The Houston Dynamo are now Wade Barrett's team. Whether Barrett gets the interim tag removed is still to be determined but there is no doubt who is in charge in Houston. On Saturday night, Barrett made a big change that affects the club on the field, he changed the club captain.

Before the season began, Owen Coyle named Giles Barnes captain after Brad Davis' trade to Kansas City. When Coyle left his job as manager, Barnes was at Copa America with Jamaica. With Wade Barrett in charge, former US international DaMarcus Beasley has worn the armband. Barnes started his first game under Barrett in Saturday's win over the Philadelphia Union, but Beasley still wore the armband. When asked about the captaincy post-match, Barrett made no bones about who the captain of the Houston Dynamo is.

"When I took over, Beasley took the armband right away and I've been really impressed with what he's done so I'm going to keep him in the armband," Barrett said. "I had a good talk with Giles about it. I want Giles to focus on playing and doing the things he can do because he's a very talented player. I've switched the armband to Beas."  

Barrett went on to add that he has pulled together a group of players in a "leadership core". He said that instead of focusing on the armband he wants to focus on the players he has asked to be leaders on the team. "I feel like there can't be just one person leading the group," Barrett added, "It has to be from that core of players. I've asked for that group to be the group that helps lead things forward." Barrett mentioned Barnes, Beasley, Chaco Maidana, Boniek Garcia, and Ricardo Clark as some of the members of the group.

It will be interesting to see if this affects the club going forward. Beasley is a veteran who has seen almost everything a soccer player can see and plays the same position Barrett played when he captained the Houston Dynamo to two MLS Cups.

The Dynamo gave Barrett his first MLS win on Saturday in dramatic fashion as Maidana scored a free kick in the 95th minute to beat the Philadelphia Union 1-0.

Barnes did not speak to the media following Saturday night's game.